17 November 2010

Warrior Dash... 3 Days to go...

Well, you are all aware by now that i am running my first Adventure Challenge on Saturday. I have to admit, I am starting to feel nervous. It's 3.1 miles and 11 obstacles, so why am I so nervous? I've been doing Insanity for about 2 months (though I haven't been able to keep up on month 2 and had to restart it with month 1) and I have seen remarkable change. But the difficulty remains, I haven't pushed myself to conquer something like this in more than 5 years. Do I still have what it takes? Will my friends show me up? Should I even be worried about that? I'm taking this challenge because I don't know what my limits are. I have pushed myself before, but I never reached my limit. Basic training, Air Assault, Sapper Leader Course, Expert Field Medic, Iraq, Eagle Scout, the list goes on and on. Why am I worried about this showing me my limit? Age and wisdom perhaps? I read somewhere that the male frontal lobe develops around the age of 25. That's the area of the brain that directs self preservation. Is this little tinge of fear from that? I don't know. I could rely on the often quoted scripture, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength,(Phil 4:13,NIV)" but does that apply here? Paul used it to talk about withstanding suffering, and while I know my body will suffer as I push myself to new highs, I don't feel like it is the same. I'll just rely on the tried and true to survive this, prayer.

Lord, I worship you and know that you are the most high. I ask that you would give me peace and dedication as I seek to give you glory through my efforts this weekend. Let me carry your name with me as I run and help me to give others help and fellowship as we conquer these obstacles together. In your son's name I pray. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the Spartan Race it was a great training goal for me http://www.spartanrace.com

    ReplyDelete