06 December 2010

PTSD Dogs...

Had a friend of mine send me an article from Yahoo about service dogs for PTSD affected veterans. All I could do is think how great an idea this is. Here's a few articles on this.

http://yhoo.it/fSi1iz

http://bit.ly/c21BK3

So the question I have is this- Would these dogs be accepted as service animals in non-military communities? I'd love to get one of these dogs to help me with my battles with PTSD, but to have one and then walk into my church or school with it might not be accepted freely. For those that know me well, you know I love dogs. I have 2 pugs, but i can't see one of them being truly effective in this role for me. I have thought about getting a mastiff for Laura, but I could look into getting that dog trained to fill this role for me. What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I'd try and contact service dog organizations locally and see what it takes to get a dog classed as a service dog. The ADA states that a service dog is:

    "any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals with impaired hearing to intruders or sounds, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items."

    http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-36104

    Seems like it'd qualify, but I'd still contact local organizations to see what it takes to get a dog qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you geniunely feel it would benefit you to bring it to church or school, I say it should be allowed. You have served our country and it is the least we can allow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I think about this, the more interested I am in pursuing it. One of the things I notice when around other vets is that I am calmer. I have fellow vets i can share with and not be judged. Properly trained, that is what these dogs provide. In the Army, we called the guy by your side a "battle buddy", and I think that is the role that these dogs fill. They live, play, and work with you, giving you the feeling of being covered and helping you concentrate on living instead of just on keeping out of the line of fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am saying that as a person who is pretty much terrified of most dogs, haha, but your wellness is worth it.

    ReplyDelete